Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Just in time for Thanksgiving: Vegan Apple and Pumpkin Pie Recipes!

Happy Thanksgiving Lovelies!

Fall/Winter has always been my favorite time of the year, partially because my birthday is this month, but more so because I looooove to cook! 

Some of my non-negotiable recipes for Thanksgiving are: 

Sweet potato casserole, Green bean casserole, Mac N Cheeze, Vegan Fluffy Rolls, and some sort of dessert. This year I'm going to be trying a new green bean casserole recipe along with an additional recipe- this tasty Pumpkin Lasagna with a Creamy Basil sauce!

If you follow me on Instagram (@lovelyveganladies),
 you probably saw my delicious pies I posted last night. ;)

 
I've never made a pie before this year so I was very excited to try my hand at it. I cheated a little bit with the apple pie, because I just bought a pie filling at the grocery store. The crust is homemade though so I'll be happy to share that portion. I'm proud to say that the pumpkin pie is completely from scratch! So, without further adieu, RECIPES.  :)

Apple Pie Recipe
**Crust: 
2 cups all purpose or pastry flour
tsp salt
1 1/2 cup vegan margarine (I used Smart Balance: Light w/Flaxseed Oil)
1/2 cup Almond milk (other milk substitutes can be used as well)

In a food processor, mix the flour and salt together. Add the margarine and pulse until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. Add almond milk and blend until well combined and dough forms. Remove dough, roll into a two dough balls and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for 1 hour before using. 

Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Take out the dough and with rolling pin, roll one of the balls out into a 10-11 inch circle. Gently lay the dough into a 9 inch baking pan (it will droop over the edges). Roll out the second ball into more of a rectangular shape. You'll want to cut out 14 strips of dough about 10 inches long and about an inch thick. Pour your apple pie filling (I used Lucky Leaf Premium Apple Pie Filling) and spread it evenly. Begin laying your strips over the filling. I started in the middle and wove on strip over and under another to get the look pictured above. Bake the pie for 35-40 minutes. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes before serving. 

**Pumpkin Pie Recipe
This recipe is quicker to make than the apple pie, simply because you do not have to refrigerate the dough. 
Crust: 
1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup oil
1 tsp cider vinegar
2 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp ice water

In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, salt, and sugar. Add the oil, vinegar, and water and stir until well blended. Press into your 9 inch baking pan. 

Filling:
1 14-oz can unsweetened pumpkin puree
1/2 cup almond milk
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp ground cinammon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp allspice
1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a food processor, blend together all of the filling ingredients until smooth. Pour pumpkin mixture into prepared pie crust. Sprinkle a little cinnamon and sugar evenly over top and bake for 40-45 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. Serve at room temperature. 

**Recipes are adapted from La Dolce Vegan!

I truly hope you enjoy these recipes, this time of year, and your Thanksgiving! 
Send me your pictures or let me know how your versions turned out!
-Cali 


No comments:

Post a Comment