Friday, October 25, 2013

Raising A Vegan Child: Topic #5- How to Have Fun with Vegan Kiddos

Wow! This post is incredibly late! Sorry lovelies...

You know what I was up to though? Having fun with my vegan kiddo!

My little baby, Audrey, is all of 8 months old and is just starting to crawl. So I have been incredibly busy baby proofing, helping her learn to crawl, and getting used to this new stage in life!

As she grows older, I already have so many ideas of things I would like to do with her. I've compiled a list below of a few vegan things you can do with your kids that will educate them, improve their ever adapting life-styles, and of course...will be FUN!

So let's get started having this fun today!


  • Get cookin'!
    • Especially since becoming vegan, my love for cooking has grown immensely. I intend to share this love with our little girl. Cooking truly helps to understand what you are putting in your body and connect with nutrition. From PB&Js to three course meals, our little girl will be a culinary expert by the time she is five if I have anything to do with it! :) There are many cookbooks to choose from, but here are a few that are in my own personal collection:
  • Head to a local Animal Sanctuary (Not to be confused with the Zoo)
    • Animal Sanctuaries may be hard to find and also more of an effort to get into than a zoo. Sanctuaries, however, provide a natural environment for animals to roam instead of being held in capitivity, in the walls of an artificial environment. Zoos are in the money business and tend to care less about the animals inside than the people coming in. (This is my ethical side speaking, but it is also a good part truth if you research the topic.) I have been to zoos before and have found them to be fun in my youth. Smaller, local zoos seem to be more accommodating to the animals if that is the only choice available. 
  • Search for Vegan or Vegetarian Festivals in your area
    • You'll see for yourself the wide variety of vegan/vegetarian types and personalities at a Veg Festival! You can check out sites like The Vegan Voice or It's Easy Being Vegan to see if there's anything going on around your area. One thing I love about these events is that you can pretty much eat worry and guilt free!
  • Step Outside
    • While it's not necessarily vegan, I'm a big advocate for a healthy lifestyle (obviously LOL). So strap up those tennis, dress for the weather, and head into the great outdoors. Take your kiddos on nature hikes/walks and let them explore. Teach them to have a greater admiration and love for the world they live in. Teach them respect for the earth around them and all it provides! (Like our food!) A beautiful quote...
  • Take a look in a book!
    • In my last post, I touched briefly on how I thought it might be difficult teaching Audrey to maintain the vegan lifestyle as she entered her grade school years and began spending more time away from home. I found this collection of books on veganism that serve this purpose specifically. I'm a huge advocate for reading and educating our children. They are our future leaders! 

  • When all else fails- straight up google
    • Google never fails! You can just google "Fun vegan things to do" and see what comes up! Pinterest has a lot of vegan kid boards that could give you great ideas as well. (Check us out on Pinterest-here)There's plenty out there if you take the time to look and plan ahead!
Being a vegan and Raising A Vegan Child does not have to be a difficult thing to do. 
What it can be is healthy, educational, and fun! 

As always, I'd love to hear your feedback in the comments section or you can email us directly at lovely.vegan.ladies@gmail.com with any questions or concerns. I hope you enjoyed this Raising A Vegan Child series!

With love,

~Cali via LVL


No comments:

Post a Comment