Sunday, October 20, 2013

Adventures in Vegan Cooking

Hi Lovelies,

Amy here! I hope you all have been enjoying Cali's Series on Raising a Vegan Child! I know that even if you choose not to be vegan, the health benefits of feeding your child whole, non-processed foods is unmatched!

Check out the series here:

Raising A Vegan Child- Topic #1: The First Six Months- Breastfeeding vs. Formula

Raising A Vegan Child: Topic #2- Supplementing Vitamin B12 is a MUST

Raising A Vegan Child: Topic #3/4- A Well Balanced Diet is Key/Timeline for Introducing New Foods


Part 5 is still to come!

I am finally back from my travels and trying to get back into the normal swing of things! This week, we did a lot of cooking at home. There is something about traveling that makes me want home cooked food.

I didn't do super great on eating vegan while on vacation, but i did have one incredible vegan meal that i plan on posting about in more detail! Literally, i can not stop thinking about this amazing meal, and am still plotting on how to re-create it!

This week I made some of the most delicious recipes ever. I just had to share one of them with you! They can all be found on my Pinterest board, but i thought i would quickly include the recipe here!






This recipe is from Vegan Chicks Rock! It is a Lentil Chili and it was amazing! I did a couple of things differently, which i will put in {}. 

Lentil Chili with Cumin and Green Onions

2 tsp olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano leaves
 
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (add more to make it hotter) {I used a LOT of cayenne and it was amazing!}
4 cups (or more) water
1 cup dried brown lentils, rinsed {I actually used organic canned lentils, but plan on using dry lentils next time. I just didnt have time to go out to the store and was trying to utilize what i had}
1/2 cup tomato puree
1/3 cup plus 2 Tbsp chopped green onions {I did NOT put in the green onions}

Heat oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion and saute for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for another 30 seconds. Add chili powder, cumin, oregano leaves, and cayenne pepper; stir for 30 seconds. Add the 4 cups of water, lentils, and tomato puree. Increase the heat and bring to a boil, skimming off any foam from the surface {I didnt have to do this because . Reduce heat to medium and simmer until lentils are tender, adding more water by 1/4 cupfuls as needed if dry, about 30 minutes. Stir in 1/3 cup green onions. Season chili to taste with salt and pepper.

I plan on making this again this week! It literally was SO amazing. I cant wait to have it again. It was VERY filling as well! 

This would be the perfect cool weather, stay at home and chill kind of dish! This would even be a great party dish to serve! 

XOXO

LVL - Amy

1 comment: