Monday, September 2, 2013

Amy, A Wanna-be Vegan.

Hey Yall! 

Where do I begin? As a kid, I ate pretty crappy food. Chicken nuggets, potato chips, snickers bars, Dorito’s, coke, diet coke. You name it. This is not at all a reflection on my mother/father and their parenting skills. They just did what they knew, and hey, i am still alive aren't I? We ate home cooked things as well, chicken stew, red beans and rice, gumbo (I am Cajun ya’ll)!

 My husband and I. 

Beauxregard & Liam, our 2 puppies! 



That is why I began this journey. I was just eating and doing what I always knew. What I always did because my parents did it that way before me.

My husband and I decided we wanted to start “not-not, trying” to have a baby. I am a researcher and so is my husband. He is usually more than I am, but something about the idea of having a human being growing inside of my womb inspired me to want to be more informed about what was going into the trap.

I researched books I should read and headed to the library. I got SEVERAL books, but the tiniest one was called Skinny Bitch, Bun in the Oven. If you are familiar with these series, these chicks are hardcore and are anti any type of processed junk, sugar, high fructose corn syrup…etc. After reading the book, I decided that I needed to make some changes.  At first I made tiny changes. I started juicing daily but continued eating pretty normally.

To be honest with you, I am still not 100% vegan, but my goal is to become vegan 100%. I do eat meat sometimes when I go out to dinner...etc...and I like honey. You can call me a “wanna-be” Vegan. My choice to try and eat clean/vegan/raw is  purely nutritional. Everyone has their own take on vegan-ism. There are lots of reasons for becoming vegan. I LOVE animals, don’t get me wrong. And I do think the way animals are treated in the food processing industry is DISTURBING, but I carry a Louis Vuitton and am not a “wanna-be” vegan for animal rights reasons. If YOU are, that is okay, and I respect your decision.  This blog is all about different view points and respecting and loving everyone where they are!

The funniest part of the journey for me so far is how people are so misinformed and so “scared” of becoming vegan or look at you like you are weird. They are so worried about me being malnourished, but I can tell you, if you are eating a typical “American” diet, chances are, you are not getting what your body needs. That is why I decided to do this. I want to break down the walls that people put up when you say the word vegan and show that being vegan is really not as scary, difficult, and weird as it seems. Chances are, the processed food consumed by millions of us each day is much more frightening than the food vegans are eating.

I always get the well “a balanced diet is really what is best.” If our culture had any sense of what balance really means, I would be fine with this defense. I will explore that very topic in my next post!

I am so excited to share my journey to a better path with you! And I am so excited that my girl, Cali is doing this with me!

I want you to be knowledgeable about food and see what 2 normal Texas girls are doing to try and better their health! Our journeys might surprise you and inspire you! I hope they do! Thank you again for following our journey! I can't wait to hear from you!

XOXO Amy

2 comments:

  1. Amy,

    I think you're making an AMAZING decision. My family and I made the same decision about six weeks ago, and we are now living a mostly-vegan lifestyle.

    Our decision was purely based on health factors as well, and we've seen a huge difference in our energy levels and our body compositions already. Haven't done bloodwork lately, but I'm positive those numbers would look a lot better too.

    If you'd like to read my blog post about our decision, you can do so at http://www.risetomanhood.com/plant-based-diet/.

    Glad to see that you're doing well, and congrats on what I'm sure will be a rewarding lifestyle change.

    Drew (from The Fellowship)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drew! Thank you for sharing! I love hearing stories like yours! Amy

    ReplyDelete