Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Cali- Vegan housewife, mama, and lover of food!


Howdy- do! Cali here, coming to you from the great state of Texas!

I started my journey to veganism in September of 2010 when I met my handsome husband, Jeremy. At that time, he had been a vegan for about 2 years. Jeremy became vegan to support his father who was doing it based off of a doctor’s suggestion to help lower cholesterol, blood sugar, weight, other health problems. While his father did not stick with it the diet long term, Jeremy and I have followed suit.
Hubby and I

 My first week of being vegan, I had a crazy burst of energy and my body felt great. I had a more pleasant demeanor, spent more time outdoors, and began exercising all the time-all because I just felt amazing! In the first 3 months, I lost about 20 lbs! A year after we had met, a very fit and tan version of Jeremy and I got married. I reeled him in by recording NFL games in HD and cooking delicious home-style vegan meals. :) Cooking so often really opened up my taste buds to new flavors that I had never experienced. I found a new favorite hobby!


It wasn’t until our first anniversary that I really started to realize that you can be vegan and completely unhealthy at the same time. I was 3 months pregnant at the time and I was downing oreos, vegan ice cream, large portions at every meal, and lots and lots of cereal (preferably Cocoa Rice Crispies). I gained a hefty 65 lbs while I was pregnant. Large and in charge for sure!

                
4 months pregnant
Full term

I realized that I needed to focus on what I was putting in my body for our baby and for myself. It’s amazing because after doing just a little research, I found out many vegans do not get the nutrients they actually need in their system just like anyone else on a typical American diet. So, I set out on a quest to learn what it really means to be healthy and what  I should really be putting in my body.

In July, I went through an online vegan boot-camp that helped me to lose the last 10lbs of the baby weight I had gained. 4 months after having our baby, I was back to my pre-pregnancy size. During my boot-camp month, I watched a lot of health documentaries and one, just one, ethical documentary. It’s called Earthlings, and it will forever change the way to see animals, food, clothing, and the products we use daily. I didn’t become vegan for the ethical reasons, but I most certainly am no longer tempted by non-vegan foods, products, or clothing now that I’ve seen that documentary. I am much more conscious of my purchases and check to make sure they have not been tested on animals or that any part of it comes from an animal. Some people think that this is silly and that one person doing it does not make a difference, however, if one person can get another person to even consider it- I think we’re on the right track. This being said, I have no judgement against anyone that does not choose to be vegan for these reasons, it’s just the choice my family and I have made. :)



TODAY- I am ready to start this wonderful journey of sharing the knowledge we’ve gained on how easy, affordable, and fun it can be to be vegan. When you put the right HEALTH foods in your body, it thanks you. You feel better; you don’t get sick. Your body and mind just work the way God intended them to. I no longer cheat with dairy products or eggs, but instead I cheat with oreos, cereals, and the occasional ice cream treat. My baby is vegan and incredibly healthy. She has not been sick once since she’s been born. We intend to raise her vegan and as she gets older if she changes her diet, at least we will have instilled the best method of health we know how.

Audrey Alice at 5 1/2 months old

I can’t wait to hear your questions, stories, comments, and concerns. We’re so incredibly excited to share this experience with you and I feel so blessed my good friend Amy asked me to join her on this venture!

~Cali


P.S. We’re all over social media! Find and follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Tumblr, and more!

No comments:

Post a Comment