Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Vegan Three Day Challenge Pt. 2

The 1st recipe I chose for the 3 Day Challenge that my husband & I did last week, is called Vegan Fajita Soup.

Literally, it was the most tasty soup I have ever had.  The only thing i will probably do different next time is puree my veggies ones they are cooked (Minus the mushrooms).

My husband really doesn't like "chunks" in his food, so that was his only complaint. But he LOVED the flavor. He said it was even better than Baby A's Famous Tortilla Soup, which is his all time favorite.

I also used Salt/Pepper/Tony's to spice it up. I used more veggie broth because i allowed my soup to simmer for a few hours instead of the suggested 15 minutes. The recipe can be found below. Even if you are not Vegan, this a crowd pleaser for sure. I plan on making it in the fall for any parties we might have at our house! It would be the perfect cold weather delight!

This is from the book: Great Gluten Free Vegan Eats.

Ingredients:

1/2 cu. chopped red bell pepper ($.50)
1/2 cu. chopped yellow bell pepper ($.50)
1/2 cu. chopped orange bell pepper ($.50)
2 cups chopped zucchini ($.74)
1 small red onion($.84)
6 mushrooms sliced ($5.00 for a lb. @ Farmers Market)
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil (already had)
1 can black beans drained/rinsed ($.74)
1 can diced tomatoes ($.98)
6 Cups Veggies Broth ($2.48) (Sprouts sells it for $2.99 HEB sells it for $2.48)
2 teaspoons cumin (already had)
1/2 tsp chili powder ($2.89)
2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice (5 for $1.00, i used 2)

Total Cost:  $16.17

Directions: 

Heat a large pan; medium heat, just until hot.
Toss in peppers, zucchini, onion, mushroom, and oil.
Saute over medium heat until veggies are tender (10-15 Minutes)
[While the veggies were sauteing, i pureed my diced tomatoes, drained/rinsed my blackbeans, measured my spices, and prepped my lime juice/broth.That way when the veggies were done, i was ready to throw everything into the pot.]
Transfer cooked veggies to a large pot, stir in black beans, diced tomatoes, veggies broth, cumin, chili powder, and lime juice.
Add salt to taste
Simmer until heated through.
[I actually let mine cook for several hours, and just added more broth/water as necessary}
We ate this for several days, so the cost was definitely worth it!

LVL

Amy


No comments:

Post a Comment