Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins

Let me just tell yall. I have NOT had a Pumpkin Spice Latte (SPL) yet, but these muffins have me ready for fall weather! Break out the sweaters, boots, and scarves. I am READY!

Photo: Lovely Vegan Ladies

I am honestly not the best baker. I have baked some things before, but generally, i do not make muffins and cupcakes from scratch. These were relatively easy. I learned that i used way too many dishes. I still have not mastered minimalist baking (maybe one day). But i tried to clean as i went which helped. My kitchen was a disaster, but these babies were well worth it!

I will include the original recipe and will put my notes in {}. This is not my original recipe. I found it on Pinterest. Click HERE to find the original recipe. I have included it below with more detail about each step. I had to google "how to melt coconut oil" because i had no clue.


This recipe made 12 muffins! 

Ingredients:

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour ($1.98)
2 teaspoons baking powder ($1.56)
1 teaspoon cinnamon (already had)
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (already had)
1/2 teaspoon allspice ($4.99 for a fairly large container)
1/2  teaspoon nutmeg (already had)
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves (already had)
pinch salt, optional and to taste (already had)
3/4 cup granulated sugar ($1.76)
1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed ($1.86)
3/4 cup pumpkin puree ($1.78) (not pumpkin pie filling) {I did use Pumpkin Pie Filling because i could not find Pumpkin Puree at HEB.} **My mom sweetly explained to me that Pumpkin Puree is canned pumpkin, which i did not know. So, for those of you who were unsure, there ya go! So, i did use canned pumpkin, NOT pumpkin pie filling. On my Canned pumpkin it did not say Puree.**
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted ($6.99) {To melt the Coconut Oil, i put it in a mason jar (Already measured) and set it in HOT water from the sink in a Tupperware dish. It took about 10 minutes for it to fully melt. At the end, i stirred it really well to get the last bit melted.}
 1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk ($1.73) ON SALE WHOOO HOOO!!!
 2 tablespoons mild or medium molasses ($2.78) {I used a mild molasses. I just chose the cheapest one at HEB.}
1 tablespoon vanilla extract (already had)
1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips  (Link to the ones i used HERE.)(already had) {I used mini-chips for mine. In the original recipe, she states you can use mini- or large, but i preferred mini.}
{Cupcake Liners - Optional - In the original recipe, she opted NOT to use cupcake liners. I did use the Liners and the muffins, thankfully, did not stick. I wasn't sure, but they did not.} ($2.99)

TOTAL COST: $28.42 Per muffin About: $2.37
The good thing about this, the main cost comes up front. I have plenty of ingredients to make many more batches! The only thing i will have to buy next time is the Pumpkin!

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 400F. {Place your cupcake liners in your muffin pan. If you aren't using muffin liners, you may want to spray your pan so they don't stick. But i did not do this.}
  2. {In a mixing bowl mix together all of your dry ingredients except for the sugars. We will add those into the wet mixture. I did this step first and just set it aside while i measured out and put together my "wet" ingredients.} {Also, i opted to use a pinch of salt!} {I also had to buy mixing bowls, because mine are in storage, and i am currently cooking in the worlds tiniest kitchen.}
  3. {In a separate bowl add your sugars}, pumpkin, oil, milk, molasses, and vanilla. {I put the sugars 1st, then the molasses, then the vanilla. I stirred that all together well while my coconut oil melted. Like i said, it took several minutes for it to fully melt using the method i found, but i don't think it effected the outcome.}
  4. {Next, i poured the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients slowly, stirring as i poured, until they were well combined and all the flour was well mixed.}
  5. {I then added my chocolate chips slowly, stirring as i poured them in!}
  6. {I then scooped the batter into the muffin cups using a spoon. I just gave each cup a scoop and then went round and round until the mix was gone!}
  7. {I baked them for 18 minutes. The original recipe says 18-19, but my oven "almost" burnt them, but thankfullest they came out perfectly! Just keep an eye on them, and do the old toothpick trick!}
Please visit Averie Cooks if you want to read exactly how she did hers! They looked delightful. I am so glad i stumbled across this recipe and actually tried it out! I cant wait to make these again.

LVL

Amy


5 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious, Amy! I'm definitely planning on trying it, and I love that it's vegan! I can send it as a daycare treat without having to worry about dairy allergies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara!! They are really yummy! I know your kids will LOVE them! Let me know what you think when you make them! <3

      Delete
    2. Also, the choco chips i used are Soy and Nut Free!! :) Just FYI!! I know they will be a hit at daycare!!!!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for trying my recipe & glad you loved them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Averie! We are looking forward to trying more of your recipes! Thanks again!! LVL

      Delete